- promotes and supports artswork from young artists and performers aged 14-25 years.
- is anchored at an arts venue with satellite locations in urban environments and reaches out to rural areas.
- increases participation in the arts for young people who are in the driving seat throughout. This includes representation on the steering group, curating the festival, working as apprentices, and being trained as volunteers.
- offers a programme over 4 days (Thursday to Sunday) in the middle of August.
- explores opportunities for skills exchange and social interaction. The festival is a vehicle to train young people in arts practice and in order to have an in-depth immersive experience, all participants should be accommodated close-by.
- is sustainable, accessible and affordable to young people in Wales. The festival is bilingual and we are committed to making this festival as inclusive as possible and actively seek diversity in all its aspects.
The story so far...
The journey began at a youth arts conference in 2012 when young people called for more opportunities to celebrate their work. In 2013 the Arts Council of Wales (ACW) commissioned Arad Research to test whether there is demand for a new festival and if there is a gap in a market. The answer to both questions was ‘yes.’ In 2014 ACW commissioned Ceridwen to write a feasibility study with a group of a dozen young people from all over Wales. The young people travelled to festivals in Wales, England, Scotland and Norway. This festival is the result of the proposals of all those young people in 2013 and 2014.
In 2015, five organisations came together to make the festival a reality: Arts Development UK as the Governing Body, Youth Arts Network Cymru (YANC), Newport Live, Venue Cymru and Wales Millennium Centre.
2016 saw our first festival at the Riverfront, Newport. Click on this link to see a short film made by Arron and Tara, two of our young Creative Industry Place Makers.
Venue Cymru will host RawFfest in 2017 and WMC in 2018.
Director: Ruth Garnault firstname.lastname@example.org
Administrator: Kate Owen email@example.com
Youth Development Co-ordinator: Sera Owen Sera@rawffest.wales